Okay folks. Here we go. The "Use it or Lose it" personal challenge has begun. Here are the results from day one...
Breakfast: Greek yogurt with granola and bananas
Lunch: pita bread toasted in olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt, sliced cucumbers and bell peppers, with Greek yogurt-onion dip (recipe coming soon).
Dinner: Spanish Black Beans and Rice (recipe follows) with sour cream and cheddar cheese; steamed broccoli
Snack: apple wedges with natural peanut butter
Spanish Black Beans and Rice - 8 Points Plus value (does not include sour cream or cheese)
What You Need:
- 1 cup dried black beans (sorted and rinsed and soaked overnight)
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 large bell pepper (I chose red), diced
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp salt
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- Cook the beans until almost tender. Puree half of them and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, saute the onion and pepper in olive oil until tender (about five minutes). Add the garlic and cook and stir another minute or so.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir in the tomato, beans, and rice. Tranfer the mixture to a 2 quart baking dish and put it in the oven. Pour water over the mixture until it's completely covered with water.
- Bake, uncovered, for an hour to an hour and a half, until rice is cooked through. Add more water as needed.