I've learned that a diet high in animal products doesn't work for me. When my husband started following the Atkins diet, I naturally started eating more meats, cheeses, and other animal products and my health worsened. So, I pulled back. Lately, I've been searching out meat-free alternatives because I feel better when I eat more plant-based foods.
Let's face it, though: Every way of eating MUST include chocolate. I found this recipe for vegan banana-chocolate chip cookies and tweaked it to my liking. They turned out pillowy, moist, sweet, and satisfying. I hope you enjoy them, too.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup almond milk (you can use cow's milk if you prefer)
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray cookie sheets with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mash your bananas. Add milk and peanut butter. Stir well to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, and brown sugar. Add all at once to dry ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop by tablespoon onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 15 minutes.