My Picky Eater loves this recipe. So does my Meat-a-tarian Husband. And it's healthy. And it's meatless. Oh, and I think it's delicious, too. Score one for the Momma/Wifee.
Lentils 'N Rice Tacos
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 of a medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup brown lentils (I've also used red lentils, but they cook faster and taste different)
- 1 cup rice (NOT instant. Brown is good. Medium grain is great.)
- 4 3/4 cups stock (vegetable, chicken, beef, whatever you like and whatever's on hand)
- 1/4 cup taco sauce
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- tortillas/taco shells, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, salsa, and/or sour cream to serve
How it's Done:
- Heat oil in a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook and stir a few minutes until fragrant and onion begins to soften.
- Add lentils, rice, stock, taco sauce, chili powder, cumin, and black pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 30 to 45 minutes, or until lentils are soft.
- Remove from heat. Stir in green onions. Serve on taco shells or tortillas with desired toppings.