Wednesday, February 17, 2010

More Health Food for the Picky Eater

Day 48.


My Picky Eater loves this recipe. So does my Meat-a-tarian Husband. And it's healthy. And it's meatless. Oh, and I think it's delicious, too. Score one for the Momma/Wifee.


Lentils 'N Rice Tacos


Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1/2 of a medium onion, diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 cup brown lentils (I've also used red lentils, but they cook faster and taste different)
  • 1 cup rice (NOT instant. Brown is good. Medium grain is great.)
  • 4 3/4 cups stock (vegetable, chicken, beef, whatever you like and whatever's on hand)
  • 1/4 cup taco sauce
  • 2 Tbsp chili powder
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions
  • tortillas/taco shells, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, salsa, and/or sour cream to serve

How it's Done:

  1. Heat oil in a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook and stir a few minutes until fragrant and onion begins to soften.
  2. Add lentils, rice, stock, taco sauce, chili powder, cumin, and black pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 30 to 45 minutes, or until lentils are soft.
  3. Remove from heat. Stir in green onions. Serve on taco shells or tortillas with desired toppings.

5 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

LOVE this idea!! I've got a bag of green lentils that I can't figure out what to do with. Looks like I know what to do with it now :) This looks so good, YUM!

Windthicket Fables said...

Ooooh! We had tacos for dinner tonight whith refried beans, but this looks excellent!

Megan H Carroll said...

Tell your husband not to worry according to some sources, beans and rice are a complete protein! Looks good and I will try it.

Lindsey said...

I have done a similar taco but add a can of pumpkin in to make the filling more spreadable so it doesn't fall out. Nice Site!Thanks.

Michelle said...

A can of pumpkin! That sounds divine. I doubt I could get away with it (Picky Eater) but maybe a 1/3 of a can? All those extra nutrients. I love the idea.

*NEW!* Stay current on what's cooking!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails