Friday, February 5, 2010

Turkey Loaf with a Side of Prostitution




Day 36.




I'm still on the mend from my oral surgery. Sadly, I won't be eating this lovely dish today, but I had fun creating it. I hope you'll try it for me and tell me all about it.




Today I had a checkup at the dentist. Afterward, I treated myself to window shopping. I perused aisles of consignment boutiques. I read cookbooks at the big bookstore. I peered into windows and looked around. And then It Happened.




Someone solicited me for prostitution.




Now, let's back up a bit. I want to preface this by saying that I don't feel like I looked the part. I was wearing a white button-up blouse under a buttoned, classic jean jacket with matching crisp jeans, and sturdy, sensible, flat black shoes. I wore modest makeup and my wedding ring set, and was carrying an umbrella and my pocketbook. I had shopping bags in tow (okay, so I did more than window shop).




So why was I solicited?




This man with bad breath and dirty clothes leaned in close to me and announced that he had mad greens in da bank and would I like hook up sumpin?




At least, that's what I, a rather unversed street walker, thinks he says. Pardon me? I inquire.




He actually repeats himself. Two more times before I get it.




I giggled, I think, when I "got it" and told him, no, thank you. He walked away muttering to himself. I'm probably lucky he didn't hit me, or worse.




Immediately I take out my rather middle class Blackberry and IM my husband to please hurry up and come get me because I've been solicited and I would like to go home and wash. A lot.




I guess I always had certain ideas of what a prostitute looks like (such as the woman working the parking lot of Motel 6 off Victory Drive in Columbus, Georgia, with her thigh-high boots that almost reach her mini skirt, or the set-ups that are shown on TV shows like Cops). And I never fit that bill in my opinion. I guess I was wrong.




One more thing before I move on to a delicious dinner recipe: If that's how hookers are picked up regularly, with cheap, sleazy pickup lines like that, it's all the more reason to pity them. I wish I could save them all and show them a better way. How demoralizing and degrading it must be, day after day, to have ugly, stinky men act like they are da bomb diggity for offering them money for sex. Ugh.




Now I must thank you, dear reader, for putting up with my diatribe. And here is your promised bit of deliciousness. Enjoy.




Pesto-Stuffed Turkey Loaf


makes one loaf




Ingredients:




  • 1 lb ground turkey breast


  • 1 1/4 cups Italian-style dry bread crumbs


  • 2 large eggs


  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese


  • 1 sprig fresh thyme (leaves only)


  • 1/2 tsp sea salt


  • 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper


  • 1 clove garlic, minced


  • 8 oz pesto


How it's Done:





  1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl or food processor and combine well.


  2. Shape into a 7x10" or so rectangle on a piece of greased parchment paper.


  3. Spread with pesto.


  4. Roll up jelly roll style, starting at a short end. Pinch to close seams. Place loaf, seam side down, into a shallow baking dish.


  5. Bake at 350 degrees for an hour.






4 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

the loaf looks fantastic. I've never tried to do a roll with meatloaf, hmmm...this one will have to be tried soon :) I can't get over the fact that you were solicited!!! OMG that's crazy! Thank goodness you're safe - and it makes for a good story. A little, well a LOT, creepy but funny :)

Michelle said...

Andrea, yeah, it occured to me only seconds after "the John" walked away that I could have been seriously hurt. I was out of my league!

As for the rolled loaf: I just think that a rolled anything looks so impressive. It's pretty easy to do and makes for a neat presentation.

You could also just pat 1/2 the loaf into a pan, make a well in the center and put the filling in, then cover with the other 1/2 of the loaf and bake that way. I like the way the roll looks. I've been playing with rolling a lot lately. Rolled cookies and bread are on my agenda this month. It's just a favorite technique of mine. :)

Kathy said...

Was it delicious? I think I will try that one as I love anything pesto.

Michelle said...

Yes, it was fabulous!

*NEW!* Stay current on what's cooking!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails