Thursday, February 25, 2010

Looks Aren't Everything

Day 56.

It's hard to keep track of the days. I can't believe it's already day 56 of 2010.

 (That's 56 days since you resolved to __________. How're ya doin'?)

My resolution was to share my journey here with you. My resolution was to strive to eliminate most processed foods from my family's diet. It's working. So far, so good. We still stray occasionally to processed foods, and I'm not going to the extreme here (by definition, all food not served whole and raw is processed), but that's okay. Because it's a journey. What's that Miley Cyrus song? It's the climbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb...

Er....sorry, that's the last time I'll channel Miley on this blog. Ever. I swear.

;)

Anyway, here's a yummy recipe that's pretty ugly to behold but it's soooooo yummy for your tummy. You  simply must try it. Go on. You can slum it for the evening.

Hamburger Gravy

Ingredients:

  • 4 Tbsp butter
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 lb lean ground beef
  • salt, pepper, and garlic to taste
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 to 3 cups milk, depending on how thick you like the gravy
  • toast, biscuits, mashed potatoes, rice, or pasta to serve the gravy on
How it's Done:
  1. This is so easy that it's a go-to busy day meal in my house. Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the gound beef and onion, cooking until the ground beef is browned. You really ought to use lean so that you don't have to drain it. (But if you don't use lean, drain it once cooked and add the butter AFTER you drain the meat.)
  2. Sprinkle with seasonings and flour. Stir until you don't see any white flour. Then, slowly add the milk, stirring constantly, until the gravy is thick.
  3. Serve over the starch of your choice.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Hamburger gravy is my absolute favorite!! But I haven't made it in probably 2 years:(

Thanks for the recipe post...I think this weekend we're having hamburger gravy and biscuits! Yummy!!

Anonymous said...

That looks good....I make some!

(That's 56 days since you resolved to __________. How're ya doin'?)

Lose 10 lbs.....ummmm...I've gained 6. I think it's all your fault! The food...the food!

Lisa said...

I love biscuits and sausage gravy. Never thought to make it with hamburger.

*NEW!* Stay current on what's cooking!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails