Saturday, February 6, 2010

If I Knew You Were Comin' I'd Have Baked a Cake

...or at least a cupcake! The sweet treat I chose to make this weekend was a batch of cupcakes. I put together a bunch of ingredients and I'm calling my creation Banana Spice Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting. Here's how it's done:
Mash three over-ripe bananas in a large mixing bowl.



Add 1 1/2 cups milk and 1 cup vegetable oil. If you have whole milk, use it. The creamier, the better. If all you have is skim, so be it. Spend some time stirring this up so it's very well combined.



One at a time, add in 3 large eggs. Beat well between additions.




Add in 2 cups of granulated sugar. Now set this bowl aside and grab another one.


In this new bowl, measure out 3 cups of cake flour. If you don't have cake flour, all-purpose flour will do, but sift it first, or at the very least, give it a good stir with a spoon before you measure it.


Into the flour, stir 2 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground cloves, 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, and 1 tsp sea salt (I use sea salt for everything. Table salt will do just fine).



All at once, add the flour mixture to your wet ingredients and stir thoroughly to combine.



Line muffin tins with liners, or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Fill 3/4 full with batter.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.

Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting. It's a good time to begin your frosting. I forgot to take pictures of this part, but it's really easy. Just dump 2 8 oz boxes of softened cream cheese, along with 1/2 cup of softened butter into a mixing bowl. Beat on high until light and fluffy. Beat in 3 cups of confectioner's sugar gradually, and also add 1 tsp of vanilla extract. Use this to frost your cupcakes. Then, sprinkle them with cinnamon and sugar (1 part cinnamon to 3 parts sugar).


Enjoy!

3 comments:

Windthicket Fables said...

MMMM, those look delicious. My favorite thing in the whole world is pumpkin spice things- breads, cookies, cupcakes, pumpkin rolls, you name it. I bet the banana spice cupcakes would be amazing! The frosting looks devine too!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Looks really yummy!! I am happy to have gazed across my room to see 2 overripe bananas on the counter, and I know I've got a 3rd in the freezer. Yippie :) Thanks for the great recipe.

tunamarie said...

My mouth is watering.

*NEW!* Stay current on what's cooking!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails