Sunday, February 21, 2010

Boo Boos and BandAids and Dark Chocolate Syrup

Day 52.




When I was a kid, I was jumping on the couch when I careened off the side and landed face first on the coffee table. Eleven stitches later, I was back home and never -- I repeat, never -- jumped on the couch again.
Today, my kids were laughing in their room.


Then, there was no laughter, only shouts of, "I TOLD YOU NOT TO DO THAT!" and wailing. I called the wailer into my room and she explained to me that she was rolling on her bed and hit her toe on her dresser. I asked her if she needed a cuddle.


"No," she told me, "I'm fine."







"Well, I need a cuddle," I said. She climbed up onto my bed and curled into me for a good cuddle. She put her legs over mine and I reached down to move her little piggy toes so I could bend my knees.


There shouldn't be warm, sticky, wetness on her piggies. Quick. Check hand. Blood.


Oh. No.


Lots of blood.


Quick. Catch blood so it doesn't go all over bed! Look at floor. Bloody carpet. Call out to husband. Check toes. Deep puncture wound. Oh no, blood is now dripping down MY arms. Blood is coming too quick to catch.


HUSBAND! HURRY!


Oh dear. I feel slightly dizzy. Oh good, there's Husband. With paper towels. Good.


Okay, let's see. Into the tub she goes. Wash, wash, wash.


"Needs emergency room."


"Maybe a stitch."

"Needs to be cleaned."



"Got the keys?"


"Yes, let's go."


Wrap kid's foot. Grab book. NEVER go to a waiting room without a book! Away we go. Wait. Have medical card? Yep. Okay. Wait. Phone? Yep. Okay. Away we go.


At the E.R., everyone moved quickly to assess the damage. By this time, the bleeding had subsided and was just an oozy spot. Gross, I know. Hardly FOOD blogging material. But above all, I'm a mom, and this was my day.


She didn't need a stitch, just a thorough cleaning and some jokes. When we were done, I looked at the clock and said to Husband, "Oh, good. I can still blog tonight." So here I am. :)




And just so we're off the blood before progressing, let me tell you that I am so looking forward to next month. I plan to tackle homemade versions of Oreo cookies, Fig Newtons, and Oatmeal Cream Pies, as well as play with sushi rice and seaweed and practice making shapes out of food.


Also, this week, I'm making some adorable flower basket cupcakes and gingerbread men. I can hardly wait. :)


Onto the syrup: This syrup is pretty basic. The only twist is that I use dark cocoa powder, making it richer and darker than, say, Hershey's. It's delicious and sinful and perfect on ice cream, in milk, or drizzled on bananas or strawberries.




Simple Dark Chocolate Syrup
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup dark/dutch process cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt (I really wouldn't leave this out)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract

How it's Done:

  1. Combine cocoa, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan. Add water. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 full minutes.
  2. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.
  3. Pour into wide-mouth canning jar. Secure lid. Refrigerate.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh man - trips to the ER are so scary! Been there, done that, and hope to not have to do it ever again. I always take a book too, or my knitting. I swear that if you have something to pass the time with, you end up getting called back right away. Never fails. ;)

Oh, and hellloooooo chocolate sauce. YUM!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Sorry your evening was spent in the ER. I hope your little one is feeling better!! NO MORE MONKEYS JUMPING ON THE BED :-)

Thanks for posting the chocoate sauce! Ever since your cheesecake post I've been dreaming about this sauce. Now my dreams can come true LOL. it looks wonderful!

Out of the Box into the Kitchen said...

i was just thinking about looking for a recipe for this today as i was making chocolate milk for my son! tfs and hope her toe is ok!

*NEW!* Stay current on what's cooking!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails