Monday, February 15, 2010

It Was Supposed to Snow Today.

Day 46.

That's what the weatherman said. Snow. It didn't snow. I live in Georgia, so it's no surprise that we get almost no snow. But I was expecting snow, so I planned a cold weather meal. Thankfully, it really is chilly outside. So the cold weather meal still applies.


Oh -- by the way, I made cheesecake today. For the first time. Ever. I can hardly stand to wait until tomorrow to tell you about my experience, but I must, because I'm supposed to wait until tomorrow before cutting the cheesecake. The flavors have to mellow and combine. It's not easy to be patient. I took tons of pictures. I look forward to sharing them with you tomorrow. :)


For now, something healthier.

Quick Stove Top Beef-Barley Stew
serves 4 to 6, depending on appetite


Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 pounds of stew meat

  • 1 Tbsp vegetable oil

  • 1 medium onion, diced

  • 1 tsp minced garlic

  • 1 cup baby carrots

  • 2 cups beef stock
  • dash of Worcestershire sauce

  • 1/4 cup cooking wine

  • freshly cracked black pepper to taste

  • 2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley

  • 3/4 cup uncooked quick cooking barley

How it's Done:

  1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add stew meat and brown on all sides.


  2. Add the diced onion and the garlic. Cook for a few minutes until the onion softens a bit.


  3. Dump in the baby carrots, Worcestershire sauce, and the beef stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 30 minutes to allow the carrots to cook.


  4. Next, add the barley and return to a boil. Once more, reduce the heat and cook, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. During the last two minutes of cooking time, add the parsley and pepper. Because of the rich beef stock, I didn't see the need to add any additional spices, but you're welcome to spice it up a bit if you prefer.


  5. Serve with warm dinner rolls or cornbread for a hearty winter meal.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks great! I can't wait to hear about your cheesecake experience though....Looking forward to tomorrow's post!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Mmm, beef and barley, yum! Looks fantastic, perfect for a cold (snowy) day :) Can't wait to read about your cheesecake tomorrow, I'm sure its awesome!

*NEW!* Stay current on what's cooking!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails