Thursday, February 18, 2010

Be Gone Waffles??


Day 49.

My husband and I have been married a little over 11 years. we've had the same argument the entire duration of our marriage, and I suspect it will continue for the rest of our lives. It's the Pee Can / Puh-Kon debate. He thinks (wrongly, if I do say so myself) that the beloved Georgia nut is a Puh-KON. I say it's a PEE-can. He says, "Gross! It's a pie, not a toilet!" I say, "Just 'cuz it's good and you eat it quickly doesn't mean you call it a B'Gone Pie!" He says PEE-can sounds weird. I say Puh-KON sounds weird. And now our 6 year-old has gotten in on the debate as mediator. She calls it a PEE-Kon.

What do you call it?

Whatever you call it, here's a nummy breakfast over which you can debate the proper pronunciation of the word pecan.


I'm right, though. ;)
Butter Pecan Waffles
makes 8 waffles
Ingredients:
For Waffle Batter:
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup pecans (toasted and finely chopped)
  • 4 Tbsp melted butter
  • 3 large eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract

For Syrup:

  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup toasted pecan halves

How it's Done:

  1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, chopped pecans, and brown sugar. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, milk, butter, and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients, stirring to combine.
  2. Drop batter (a bit less than 1/2 cup is what I did per waffle on my iron) onto preheated waffle iron. Cook as your iron's manufacturer recommends. I cook mine on a Cuisinart on setting 4.
  3. While waffles are baking, prepare syrup. Combine water, butter, and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and pecans. Serve over waffles. Also makes a great ice cream or rice pudding topping!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Ooh this sounds tasty! I'm with the kiddo - pee-kon. ;)

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I'm a pee-can type of girl :) This looks so GOOD! My waffle machine might get dusted off very soon!

Anonymous said...

The kiddo is correct (lol)....I say PEE-KON also.

Unknown said...

I fall into the puh-kon category myself. Paula Deen says PEE-can with definite Georgia authority:) Whatever, thsse waffles look phenomenal. I can'd wait to give them a try. Thanks for the recipe. Come join me for Crock Pot Wednesday whenever you can.

Michelle said...

It's fun to read what you all call it. :)
Debbie, I'd love to join you for crockpot Wednesday! Thanks for the invite! I'll be there tomorrow evening. :)

*NEW!* Stay current on what's cooking!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails