Were you around when I talked about my husband's decision to do Atkins to lose some weight? It's been a challenge to get him properly fed while also properly feeding the kids and me, but I've done okay so far. Many times, this means making two meals. Thankfully, my husband isn't terribly fussy, and some fried eggs and bacon have passed his lips on numerous occasions. Sometimes, I get lucky and make something that I don't mind eating, too. Yesterday, for lunch, was one such occasion.
The cheese crackers are simple to make and satisfy the need to crunch without adding many carbs. They taste a lot like CheezIts.
Chicken Spread with Cheese Crackers
for the spread:
- 1 lb cooked chicken breast (bones and skin removed)
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
- a handful of fresh dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cheese (I had cheddar out, so I used it)
- 1/2 a large onion, cut into chunks
- that's it
- In your food processor, combine all ingredients for chicken spread. Process two minutes, or until smooth. Scoop into serving dishes and top with a sprig of dill.
- For the crackers: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Pour a tablespoon of shredded cheese onto the hot skillet. Cook until the bottom is browned and the top is all bubbles. Carefully scrape the "cracker" off the skillet and flip it over. Cook it another 30 seconds or so. Move to plate and continue with the cheese, until you've made enough crackers.
- Serve the crackers with the spread.