There are several things on my mind today, so I'll get right to them.
But first, Diego says hi. Or hola, as it were.In all the chaos surrounding my in-laws' visit, I never did do a real grocery shop for the month of April. Rather, it was a couple weeks of shopping as need be. Thankfully, we didn't spend too much money on those trips. Here is what my mid-month trip list looks like. I'll update with prices tomorrow night:
- apples (several pounds)
- green onions
- sweet potatoes
- 5 bell peppers
- butter (2 pounds)
- eggs (2- 18 packs)
- greek yogurt
- heavy cream
- confectioner's sugar
- granulated sugar
- canned tomatoes (4 cans)
- almond milk
- black beans (4 cans)
I really am addicted to my Diet Coke. It's going to be really hard. But I think I'm ready to give it up. Not only will I feel better without that junk in my body, I'll also save my family even more money. Keep me in your thoughts as I kick this habit. I'll keep you posted on my progress.
- sweet bell peppers (red, green, yellow)
- sweet banana peppers
- chili peppers
- jalapeno peppers
- cayenne peppers
- cherry tomatoes
- crookneck squash
Any ideas on all-natural pest control to get the buggies to stop eating my leaves?
And now, what you're here for...a recipe! Messy lasagna. I love lasagna. It's the ultimate in comfort food. But don't you hate it when you burn your fingertips on the hot, cooked noodles? And don't you have better things to do than to neatly and evenly spread the ricotta filling over the slippery noddles? And don't those pesky torn noodles just bug you? They bug me! Not to worry! This dish has all the flavors of lasagna with none of the hassle!
- 1/2 lb pasta (any variety will do, but I used mini wagon wheels today)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- **SPICES AS DESIRED** If you skip this, your dish will be very, very bland. Spice it as you normally spice lasagna. I used fresh basil, fresh thyme, fresh parsley, fresh rosemary (not normally in lasagna, but it's fresh and I couldn't resist!), salt, and pepper
- a sprinkling of sugar
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
- Meanwhile, brown ground beef with onion until no longer pink. Add tomatoes, sauce, garlic, sugar, and spices. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Combine sauce with pasta. In a separate bowl, mix ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella, and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Pour half of the pasta and sauce into a 9x11" baking dish. Dot with mounds of the ricotta mixture. Don't try to be neat or even. It's messy lasagna. Cover with remaining pasta and sauce. Sprinkle the rest of the cheeses over top.
- Bake for 30 minutes.