Friday, July 2, 2010

Real Food. Great Prices.

Imagine if you could buy all of your groceries at one store, and that store promised you that:
a.) there would be NO artificial colors or flavors in anything they sell.
b.) everything would be organic, local if possible, fresh, and natural, and
c.) it would all be affordable. They'd accept coupons and have their own store label.

Wait. There's more. They promise that NO ITEMS in their store will contain partially hydrogenated or hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, bleached flour, and more!Would you shop there?

Yeah. Me too.

My neighbor told me about a store called Earth Fare that's about 45 minutes from my house. And what I wrote above is exactly what this store's all about.

Here's what I bought, and what I paid for it.

  • Rudi's Organic English Muffins $3.99 minus $1 coupon
  • Rudi's Organic Whole Wheat bread $2.49 minus $.50 coupon
  • a dozen organic whole wheat hamburger buns $2.99
  • a dozen organic whole wheat hot dog buns $2.49
  • organic almond butter (made from just almonds while you wait)$1.85 for about 1/3 lb
  • organic whole wheat flour for $1.29 a pound (bulk)
  • organic rolled oats for $1.49 a pound (bulk)
  • organic peanut butter, fresh ground, just peanuts, made while you wait, $2.37 for about a pound
  • 2 pounds of organic roasted peanuts for $3.36
  • 1 lb of natural cheddar cheese (No Bad Anythings) for $3.14
  • Silk Chocolate Soy Milk $2.96
  • organic plain yogurt quart $4.19
  • frozen organic almond grain burgers $2.98
  • frozen organic cherries $3.28
  • organic french fries (yes, I bought them) $1.98
  • spicy bean burgers (frozen organic) $2.98
  • unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze milk, 2 for $2.28 plus a $1 off coupon on each
  • organic, all natural, oreo-type cookies $2.50
  • organic maple cream cookies $2.50
  • Lara bar $1.00
  • organic black soybeans (canned, not available dry) 4 for $5.00
  • ORGANIC EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, 3 LITERS for $19.97 (NOT a typo)
  • 24 pack spring water for my husband $2.97
  • organic canned diced tomatoes, no salt added $2.49 minus $.50 coupon
  • organic whole wheat penne, 2 lb, $1.99
  • dry rubbed thick cut uncured all natural pork bacon, 1 lb $4.99 minus $1 coupon
  • all natural sausage chorizo, 1 lb $3.99 minus $1 coupon
  • Hass avocado, 2 for $4
  • 1 pt locally organically grown black berries $3.99
  • 1/2 pt local organic blueberries $3.33
  • 1/2 pt organic raspberries $3.33
  • 1 lb organic strawberries $3.33
  • 1 lb organic fresh Brussels sprouts $2.99
  • 1 bunch organic cilantro $1.50
  • organic kiwi, 3 for $1.00
  • local watermelon $4.97 -SAME PRICE AS MY LOCAL WALMART!
  • 2 lb organic red potatoes $4.69
  • organic sweet potatoes $1.97 per lb
  • SnaPea Crisp snacks $1.99
Total spent today = $133.80 with tax for almost a week's worth of groceries. That's what I would spend per week on average for NON-organic foods!

Look at that olive oil price. WOW! I'm so impressed with this store that I will be making twice monthly trips to it instead of my local stores. I can totally ditch everything unhealthy shopping here. They even have a web site that offers new customers The Boot program, in which you bring in your bad foods in exchange for good foods, for free! They offer printable coupons, sales flyers online, recipes, and more. Earth Fare is all over the southeastern United States. See if there's one near you. It's worth the drive.

Now, I have a giveaway to announce, but I am going to keep you hanging for another few days. I'm trying to decide what to put in it. I know it's going to be locally produced foods. I just want to put a couple more things in the hat before I announce. Hang in there. It'll be great. :)

I'll finish up my week of bare bones recipes starting Sunday. Tomorrow's our local Independence Day celebration, and it's an important day for my family. We've got a hero to celebrate and a lot to be thankful for, including a new promotion, a new car, and a new healthy store. :)

Stay safe this weekend. Eat well. If you drink, give someone your keys. Buzzed driving is drunk driving. You're all too precious to take that risk.

8 comments:

Out of the Box into the Kitchen said...

wow! i WISH we had one! what a great find!

Ferreh Hiatt said...

Jealous! That place sounds fa-boo! I hope they're successful and able to branch out into our neck of the woods.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

This store sounds like a dream come true!! I want to shop there. I want to work there so then I can get an employee discount on top of the already low prices. Awesome finds!!! Happy 4th of July Michelle & family!

Kit said...

Thanks for the reminder. I've been at Whole Foods because they're just 10 minutes from me. Earth Fare is about 30 and across 2 bridges. I'm thinking the trip's gonna be worth it.

StephenC said...

I guess the nearest thing we have in Denver to what you found is Sunflower Market, although I don't know if they adhere to quite such rigid standards. I do know the quality of the produce and the prices overall are very good. Thanks for such great detail.

a soldiers wife said...

Happy Independence Day! Congratulations on the Promotion! That is always a reason to celebrate. Off to check Earth Fare for a possible location near me.

Unknown said...

How great for you to have something so wonderful close to you! I think they try to rob us blind when it comes to organic food down here in the desert :) You always amazing me with your skills in frugal shopping!
Hope you and yours have an amazingly wonderful holiday! Please thank your husband for his service to this country for me!!

Rachel (Diary of a Recovering Chocoholic) said...

Thanks for sharing this place! Theres one 20 minutes from my college town- thats worth a stop.

I left an award for you on my blog

http://achocoholicsdiary.blogspot.com/2010/07/ive-won-two-awards.html

*NEW!* Stay current on what's cooking!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails