Friday, September 10, 2010

Eggs Benedict (Arnold). Also, some questions posed to me.


Eggs Benedict is a classic breakfast dish, common on buffet lines, that combines an English muffin half, a poached egg, some Canadian bacon, and some hollandaise sauce.

Benedict Arnold was an officer in the American Revolutionary War. He defected to the British Army. He was a traitor.

So why do I call this dish Eggs Benedict Arnold? Because this dish is, in fact, a traitor. An impostor. A fake. The eggs aren't poached. The meat is ham, not Canadian bacon. And there's cheese. Plus, it's so perfectly fitting, seeing as how we're using an English muffin, and Arnold defected to the English. Ahh, duplicity. Good for traitors and recipe names alike.

Oh, and it's delicious.

Eggs Benedict Arnold

What You Need:

for each serving:
  • 1 toasted English muffin (top and bottom)
  • 2 scrambled eggs (cooked, scrambled in butter)
  • 1 slice of uncured deli ham, heated
  • 2 Tbsp prepared hollandaise sauce
  • 1 Tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
How it's Done:
  1. This is simple once you have all of your ingredients prepared.
  2. On the bottom half of your English muffin, place the scrambled eggs. Top with ham, then hollandaise sauce, then cheese.
  3. Cover with top half of the English muffin and serve. We had these lovelies with bacon and hash browns: breakfast for dinner.
Now, Mary, the Food Floozie, has tagged me to play this eight questions game called Eight to the Eight to the Eight. I won't usually do these sort of posts, since my focus here is on food, but I'm up for a little fun this morning. If you're tagged, I'd love it if you'd participate, but fully understand if you opt not to do so.

The idea is that I'm supposed to answer Mary's eight questions, then pose eight of my own, and tag eight people to answer those. And so on and so on.

Here goes:

1. What is your favorite work of art?



The Creation of Adam - Michelangelo


2. What do you collect, if anything?

Nothing on purpose. I love to get rid of things, so I'd be a terrible collector.





3. What faith were you raised in? And do you still belong to that one, or have you found another, or ...?


I was raised Catholic. I am no longer Catholic. I consider myself Christian, no denomination required.





4. What is your favorite flavor of jelly/jam to use for a PB&J?




Grape all the way, but it has to be real grape, not that weird purple jelled substance that doesn't spread.









5. What song did or would you play for your first dance together at your wedding reception?


Didn't have a wedding reception. Didn't have a formal wedding. Don't dance. However, Keeper of the Stars is "our song."






6. What is your favorite charity?


The ASPCA: American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals




7. Nuts in brownies -- yea or nay?


I must be all grown up, because, yes, nuts belong in brownies. Especially walnuts. Yep, it's offical. I'm an adult now.



8. What is your favorite cookbook, the one you rely on time after time?

Cookbooks mostly bore me. They're so generic! I'm going to put one together one of these days, I hope, and I promise it won't be generic.

Now for my questions and my victims prey guests. I'm keeping a cooking bent.

Will you answer the call?

April at Angel Foods Kitchen

Keli at Feeding Four

SnoWhite at Finding Joy in my Kitchen

Michelle at Girl Gone Granola

Mandy at Mandy's Recipe Box

..and that's it. I'm a rule breaker.

Now for the questions:

1. Who inspires you in the kitchen? Why?

2. To sift or not to sift?

3. How do you feel about white chocolate?

4. How do you feel about Teflon?

5. What dish are you famous for?

6. What's the biggest cooking disaster you've ever experienced?

7. If you could cook with any one person, alive or deceased, real or fictional, who would it be and why?

8. What dish would you consider your pièce de résistance, and have you mastered it yet?

7 comments:

SnoWhite said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who gets bored with cookbooks!! I love finding recipes on blogs too -- and I'm happy that you're finding yummy recipes at my site.

Here are my answers:

1.Who inspires you in the kitchen? Why?

My mom and grandmas -- they are wonderful cooks and have taught me what I know about cooking. It was a real treat to cook for them at our new place last weekend! I am impressed that they cooked from scratch and fed tons of kids while living and managing a farm!

2. To sift or not to sift?

I've never sifted a day in my life. Don't even own a sifter.

3. How do you feel about white chocolate?

Chocolate is brown... that's that.

4. How do you feel about Teflon?

I use it ... but I'm looking into switching to stainless steal. I really like how easy it is to cook in them and clean them though!

5. What dish are you famous for?

I don't think I'm famous for anything. My family loves vanilla ice cream -- and some of our friends love the sweet potato dark chocolate bars....

6. What's the biggest cooking disaster you've ever experienced?

I burned carrots into the bottom of my pan -- it took 2 weeks of consistant boiling, scrubbing, soaking, etc. to get it clean!!

7. If you could cook with any one person, alive or deceased, real or fictional, who would it be and why?

Betty Crocker -- before all their mixes ;-)

8. What dish would you consider your pièce de résistance, and have you mastered it yet?

I just tried cheesecake for the first time -- and it wasn't as hard as I expected!

Thanks -- these were really fun :)

StephenC said...

Traitor, indeed! Looks as good as any "Benedict" I've ever seen.

Mandy Bird said...

Thanks for tagging me! This actually looks like fun so I will post it on my blog now :) Have a great day!

Kelly said...

Fun to read your answers! Keeper of the Stars is our song too!

Unknown said...

Gotta say, Michelle.. I love your traitor!! I might not have even known it was a traitor until you pointed it out. May I come for breakfast please???
Thanks for letting us get to know you a bit more too!!

Unknown said...

I'm not very good at coming up with questions like that, but I'd love to answer yours here.

1.Who inspires you in the kitchen? Why?

My mom. She was a wonderful cook, and taught me most of what I know today. She always cooked from scratch and with love.

2. To sift or not to sift?

I have never sifted, and can't tell the difference in a recipe when someone has. I just give it a good beating with a whisk, and it comes out fine.

3. How do you feel about white chocolate?

Don't like it.

4. How do you feel about Teflon?

I have a pan and a pot that I still use, but when they wear out, I'll be replacing them with either cast iron or stainless steel, which is what the rest of my cookware is.

5. What dish are you famous for?

Chili, my family loves it and asks for it two or three times a month.

6. What's the biggest cooking disaster you've ever experienced?

The first time I ever fried chicken. I had the heat turned up to high, and the outside looked nice and golden brown, but the inside was still bloody. I still shudder when I think about taking that first bite.

7. If you could cook with any one person, alive or deceased, real or fictional, who would it be and why?

My mom, I miss her so much. :(

8. What dish would you consider your pièce de résistance, and have you mastered it yet?

My mom's famous Thanksgiving dressing. I make a pretty good one, but no where near as tasty as my mom's.

Kim said...

Silly Michelle! You collect recipes, bento-style lunch ideas, and blog followers!

Love your twist on eggs benedict which is a big favorite of mine although I haven't had them for ages. I could drink Hollandaise with a straw.

*NEW!* Stay current on what's cooking!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails