Sunday, September 26, 2010

Double Apple Cookies

In an effort to A.) feed my children healthy things, B.) stay on budget, and C.) use up what needs using, I created this cookie recipe. They are soft and fragrant, and the girls love them. They use real apples, applesauce, and just a touch of sugar. I made them for their lunchboxes. I try to include a yummy treat each school day, and I'm a few days away from shopping day, which means that the cupboards are getting to the bare mark. I had two apples that needed to be used up. I needed a sweet treat for lunches. So, these cookies were born.

Double Apple Cookies

What You Need:
  • 2 apples, cored and shredded
  • 1/2 cup applesauce (I used natural, unsweetened)
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 cups flour (whole wheat is great here, but 1/2 and 1/2 would do just fine)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
How it's Done:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a couple cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Combine shredded apples, applesauce, egg, and oil. Mix well.
  3. Stir in the brown sugar and vanilla extract.
  4. Combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add to the wet ingredients, and stir until all are combined.
  5. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto the prepared sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until the bottoms are beginning to brown and the cookies spring back when pressed gently.

6 comments:

Samara Link said...

Ooooo. And as luck would have it, I just happen to have all of those ingredients on hand. Plus, my evening photo shoot cancelled, leaving me some unexpected free time tonight. I might just have to make these!

Unknown said...

Ooooohhhh...those looks so soft and wonderful! I love them and I haven't even had one yet!!

Christy said...

YUM! I just saved this recipe to try sooner than later!

SharleneT said...

Congratulations on a great and healthy recipe... have all the ingredients on hand and an empty cookies jar... what to do... what to do... I'll let you guess... come visit when you can...

Out of the Box into the Kitchen said...

yum! this should help clear out a couple apples...only have 20 more lbs to go!

Dale said...

This look delicious. I tried them and followed the recipe (substituted about 1/2 cup for wheat flour). Unfortunately, we didn't much care for them. They came out a little too dry and not very flavorful so I'm guessing I did something wrong :(

*NEW!* Stay current on what's cooking!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails