Breakfast: oatmeal made with a banana and milk, not water
Lunch: peanut butter & jam on wheat bread & an apple
Dinner: vegetable fried rice
Recipe: Vegetable Fried Rice
What You Need:
- 1 1/2 cups raw rice (at least use brown rice -- mine was a mix of brown & wild rices)
- 1/4 cup oil (I used olive, because I had it. use what you can afford and what you have on hand)
- 5 cups chopped vegetables (cabbage, carrots, onions, green onions, and peas are all cheap. I added green bell pepper, banana pepper, both from my garden)
- soy sauce to taste
- if you have it, fresh ginger is great. 2 Tbsp minced is enough (I will not count this in my grocery list at the end of the week)
- Cook the rice according to directions. Let it cool slightly before using it.
- In a large skillet, heat half of the oil. Cook the vegetables in the oil until crisp-tender. remove them to a platter.
- Add the remainder of the oil and fry the rice until it's browned a bit and smells nutty. Add the vegetables back in and stir-fry the food, adding soy sauce to taste.
- Serve right away. This recipe makes a large amount, perfect for lunches throughout the week.