Monday, March 22, 2010

This Won't Convert the Broccoli Haters in Your Life

Day 81.

Today, my baby learned to ride without training wheels. I ran outside and snapped about a hundred pictures of her tottering along on two wheels. All the while, images flashed through my mind of scraped elbows and battered hands. But she did it. She rode without training wheels today. I am so proud of her.

But each time she reaches a milestone, a part of me wants to cry, "No! Stay little!" She's my baby. When she lost her first tooth, I cried. I didn't let her see me, and I certainly did not break down into hysterics, but I shed a few tears. When she started first grade this year, I spent the first couple of hours of her school day at Starbucks. Not really treating myself. You see, Starbucks is directly across from the school. I sat on the porch with a friend, and we drank coffee and looked at the school. Then, I went home, and sat in the back yard and looked at the school. I missed her. (for the record, these days, I'm okay with her going to school, and I go about my daily business without pining for her in the back yard, although I know when her P.E. class and recess times are, and I listen to the kids squealing outside during those times.)

I'm very proud of all of her accomplishments. She's in the gifted program. She's spelling third grade words with no effort. She's about to take part in a musical production about ancient Rome. She's on the soccer team. She's a terrific kid. And she's growing up. And that's bittersweet.

But she'll always be my baby...



...who doesn't like broccoli.

Your broccoli haters probably won't like this dish, either. But if broccoli's your thing (and it's definitely my thing), you'll love this dish. The broccoli emerges tasting sweet.

Baked Broccoli

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb broccoli florets
  • 1 Tbsp melted butter
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 cup Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
How it's Done:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Steam broccoli as usual.
  3. Toss with melted butter and bread crumbs. Spread in an 8x8" square baking dish. Top with cheese.
  4. Drizzle oil over top.
  5. Bake 30 minutes.

3 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Congrats to your little one - riding a 2 wheeler is a big deal! Good job!

The broccoli looks amazing. Yum! This will be made. Soon. Hooray!

Out of the Box into the Kitchen said...

congrats on her riding a big girl bike!

and this looks awesome ill have to try it. i do the same thing with cauliflower and love it. im a big broccoli fan, my family not so much.

Unknown said...

That's so great that she rode without training wheels! YAY! Though I am not a mom myself, I do have a mother that I think still cries at any milestone in our lives, that's just what mom's do :)
I'm not a huge broccoli fan, but still looks great!!!

*NEW!* Stay current on what's cooking!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails