Friday, August 6, 2010

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies For the Best Kids

My great-grandmother was an imprecise, messy cook. She didn't measure things. She just made good food. One of the things she did very, very well was to bake chocolate chip cookies. I opt for measuring things, for my readers' benefit. I used to be a tosser just like my great-grandmother. Her chocolate chip cookies have been made for four generations now. Everyone loves them. They're not gourmet. They're not loaded with several types of chocolate. But when you want a great cookie, this is your go-to recipe.

My daughters started school today, so I'm baking these as a special after-school snack. They'll be thrilled. I hope they've had a great first day. All throughout my day, I've been thinking of them and wondering what they were doing, what they were feeling, and if they made any new friends. First days are tough sometimes, especially when you're starting middle school.

Here they are on their first day of school.

Bayberry started middle school this morning -- 6th grade.


Picky Eater started 2nd grade.

Want to follow my journey as I pack both kids' lunches all year? I have a blog for that. Want some yummy cookies? Read on!

Great-Grandmother's Thick Chocolate Chip Cookies
What You Need:

  • 1 cup butter at room temperature

  • 1 cup brown sugar

  • 1 cup granulated sugar

  • 2 tsp vanilla extract

  • 3 large eggs

  • 1 tsp sea salt

  • 2 tsp baking soda

  • 4 cups all-purpose flour

  • at least 12 oz but up to 18 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
How it's Done:

  1. Preheat your oven to 375 and have a few ungreased cookie sheets ready to go.

  2. Cream the butter at medium-high speed for 30 seconds or so, to make it fluffier. Add the sugars and beat until creamy and smooth. One at a time, add the eggs, beating well between additions. Then, add the vanilla extract.

  3. Stir together the salt, flour, and baking soda. Add it to the batter slowly. Your batter's going to be so thick that you'll doubt the listed amount at first. Keep going. Four cups is not a typo.Scrape the sides as needed.

  4. Stir in, by hand, the chocolate chips. You're going to need a solid wooden spoon or something of similar strength for this task.

  5. Roll the dough out into big, thick, 2 to 2 1/2" thick balls. Place them 3" apart on the cookie sheets. Don't flatten them.

  6. Bake for 15 minutes or so, until the cookies are lightly browned. Try your best not to burn your mouth on the freshly baked cookies. As if I'd try to tell you to let them cool. Ha!

7 comments:

Tractor Mom said...

The girls looked so pretty for their first day! I know they looked forward to the cookies!

Come by when you can...

www.frugaltractormom.blogspot.com

Yenta Mary said...

Your girls look absolutely beautiful! Those are absolutely radiant smiles ... :) The cookies look pretty good too, but they can hardly compare!

Julia said...

Those look delicious! Your girls look beautiful... I hope they had a great first day!

Unknown said...

Oh your girls are so adorable! I remember my mom taking the first day of school pictures of me and my sister! I hope they had a great first day too!
What can I say about the cookies other then .. yes, I'll take 2 dozen please! Beautiful pictures Michelle!

Miss-Fit said...

Yum yum yum -- delicious.

I have an overwhelming urge to make a batch of those.

Rose said...

I LOVE baking, but for years I havn't been able to find a chocolate chip cookie that my husband likes. But when I made a batch of your cookies, it was an instant hit. Pretty awesome, thanks for the recipe!

Grumpy said...

Divine! Totally divine cookies. My littlest can't have milk or butter - so I sub'ed dairy free/soy free Earth Balance butter and used dairy free chocolate chips.

As she finished the first one she signed more and cookie! These are way better than Moe's and Toll house cookies (which my older girls love!)

I'm off to check out more of your recipes and ideas.... as I try to bring my kids back to our table instead of the restaurant ones! Thanks! :)

*NEW!* Stay current on what's cooking!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails