Friday, August 20, 2010

Guest Post: Feeding a Family with Allergies

The wonderfully adaptable Kim from Something Worth Sharing is going to talk to us about living with food allergies today.


Allergies & Me



I had so much to learn. Little did I know when my third son was diagnosed with a severe and life-threatening allergy to eggs in 2007 that it was only the start of an ongoing journey with allergies. Fast forward to 2010 and we have added many more food and non-food allergies, had several anaphylactic reactions (one where I used the EpiPen and had a ride with my second son in the ambulance to our Children’s Hospital) and done lots of my own learning as well as educating family and friends about food allergies! Three of my 4 children have food allergies that now include: eggs, dairy, peanut/nuts, sesame, kiwi, barley and rice. And so, our journey began and where are we today? Well, today we’ve learned how to shop and read labels (every time) to ensure safety for our children. Who would have thought that dairy proteins can lurk in deli meat, in most baking and even in hand soaps?


I have also learned how to cook and bake safely. Sometimes things don’t turn out (like the time I made Alfredo sauce with Vanilla Soy milk...it was OK, just a little sweet!) but for the most part my kids gobble up what I make and tell me it’s the best. That makes it all so worth it. I do all my own baking – bread, hot dog buns, cinnamon buns, cakes, muffins, granola, cookies and more!

And I ALWAYS make is safe for ALL my kids. I’ve learned to use soy milk in place of regular milk, egg replacer or egg substitutes for eggs and alternatives for butter. I LOVE THE CHALLENGE of creating safe food for my children. Not only do I strive to make it safe, but I try and make it nutritious, economical and fun (I always secretly hope that other children are jealous of the food my kids are eating!).


Well, this is a food blog, so I’m sure you waiting with held breath for a recipe...breathe now! Here are some yummy “Cream Cookies” that my mom made me as I was growing up. Mine are adapted (see substitutions in brackets) to be safe...and yummy! These are the perfect cookie to make with the kids and are great made into fun shapes and iced with funky coloured icing. They freeze well...if they make it to the freezer. Enjoy!




CREAM COOKIES


Cream together:


2 cups sugar


1 cup softened butter (I use dairy free Fleishmann’s margarine)


Add:


1 cup milk (I use soy milk, you could also try with almond or rice milk)


2 eggs (I use Celimix Egg replacer)


Stir In:


2tsp baking soda


4 cups flour


**you will have to add more flour until a soft dough is formed.


Chill dough to make rolling out easier. Roll about ¼ inch thick and cut into shapes.


Bake at 350 degrees for 9-10 minutes. Cool on rack, ice and eat!










About Me: I am a mom to 4 energetic and lovable children. We have food allergies, but try not to let it run our life. Life is do-able with allergies. It just takes planning. I also work part-time as a Pediatric Occupational Therapist. I love BOTH my jobs! I love the challenge of creating food for my family and friends.

6 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

As an Aunt and part time caregiver to a niece with food allergies this rings very true with me, too. The egg replacers are pretty good for baked goods :) Thanks for raising awareness about food allergies!

Unknown said...

I don't have any food allergies, but few friends of mine have some severe types and it can be pretty scary if proper steps are not taken.
Thank you for sharing you story, I think it is wonderful you are providing your kids with some delicious home made food.I'm sure it's is a lot of work to find what works and what doesn't, but at the end I'm sure it is all worth it.
Have a great weekend.

StephenC said...

I am grateful not to be allergic to anything (except Lady Gaga). I think this posting is a great service.

Michelle said...

LOL @ allergic to gaga. Me too! =D

Hillcresthome Prims said...

I LOVE to bake and cook from startch so I just found your blog and joined it. I LOVE,LOVE it. My wonderful husband of 21 yrs has food allergies and I also believe that cooking and bakingfrom startch benfits our children, NO pre package meals in this house!


Blessings,
Tricia

Melissa said...

So I tried the Cream cookies, and they turned out really good, but I had some problems..lol! First, I could never get it to soft dough, I kept putting more flour, and nothing, so instead of rolling out the dough, I actually just scooped up some and put it on a cookie sheet. They came out perfectly round, and so soft. I put some strawberry icing on top...there gone already..they were that good!

*NEW!* Stay current on what's cooking!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails