Where are my ear plugs?
I'm totally supportive of her playing a musical instrument, even the snare drum. I hope that she finds out that she loves it and wants to continue it all through school. I was part of my high school's marching band and I absolutely loved it. I lived for band. I'm sure it kept me out of all sorts of trouble, too.
She's also joining Cross-Country. This kid isn't going to have any anxiety at all! Between beating it out on a drum and running for her life, all her worries are just going to melt away.
Ha! She's a middle school girl. It's going to take more than runnin' and drummin' to chase all of THOSE worries away.
As for me, I'll just keep her well-fed. Here's a start:
Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
What You Need:
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup cereal (any kind will do. I used corn puffs, like Kix)
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup oil (I used safflower)
- 1/3 cup honey
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Combine all the ingredients and press firmly into an 8- to 10" square baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until edges begin to brown. Remove from the oven and let the granola cool completely. This allows it to set. Cut into bars. Store covered at room temperature.