Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Little Drummer Girl

Bayberry joined the middle school band. Her instrument? The snare drum. Tomorrow, I get to go to the music store and pick up her very own snare drum and drumsticks so that she can perfect her music at home. With a captive audience.

Where are my ear plugs?

I'm joking.

Sort of.

I'm totally supportive of her playing a musical instrument, even the snare drum. I hope that she finds out that she loves it and wants to continue it all through school. I was part of my high school's marching band and I absolutely loved it. I lived for band. I'm sure it kept me out of all sorts of trouble, too.

She's also joining Cross-Country. This kid isn't going to have any anxiety at all! Between beating it out on a drum and running for her life, all her worries are just going to melt away.

Ha! She's a middle school girl. It's going to take more than runnin' and drummin' to chase all of THOSE worries away.

As for me, I'll just keep her well-fed. Here's a start:

Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
Serves 10

What You Need:
  • 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup flaked coconut
  • 1/2 cup cereal (any kind will do. I used corn puffs, like Kix)
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/3 cup oil (I used safflower)
  • 1/3 cup honey
How it's Done:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350.
  2. Combine all the ingredients and press firmly into an 8- to 10" square baking dish.
  3. Bake for 30 minutes, or until edges begin to brown. Remove from the oven and let the granola cool completely. This allows it to set. Cut into bars. Store covered at room temperature.

7 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

I'll have to try these; every other granola bar I've made has been too dry, but these look SO good!

Unknown said...

Wow, drums and cross country...very cool! Good luck to her...and you through the practicing of the drums :)
The granola bars look awesome!

Michelle said...

Mary, these are quite moist, to the point that I considered baking them longer. Resist the urge to overbake. Let them sit undisturbed-- overnight is best - then slice. Yummy.

Thanks Jenn!

Out of the Box into the Kitchen said...

those look awesome! i made some bites yesterday...and they were AWESOME!

Roxie700 said...

I played drums in band too. Loved it. I also learned to practice in a way that did not drive the neighbors to drink..we were given a piece of foam pad (like a computer mouse pad) and I learned to play the different things there. Oh I did practice with a real drum, but that was outside on the patio etc. I was pretty good if I do say so myself...
Good luck to your daughter. She will love the band. It was wonderful.

Samara Link said...

That's great about your daughter's new interest. Keep us posted. I'm thinking a VIDEO might be in order. :) Good looking recipe, too. That reminds me, I've been meaning to try your granola.

I made your Vegetarian Stuffed Shells again tonight for company ... 3rd time making them. Awesome every time! They were a big hit with our dinner guests. I shared the recipe and your blog with them. Hopefully they'll pop in and get hooked on your blog, like I did.

So, I'm curious ... what does the future hold for your cooking and blogging in 2011 when your "year" here is up?

Michelle said...

I'll still be cooking. :) I have big plans for beyond this year.

*NEW!* Stay current on what's cooking!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails