Monday, August 2, 2010

Fairy Princess Bread (aka Pink Egg Bread)

I'm spending this week getting ready for packing school lunches. Today, I made some Fairy Princess Bread. I've got a whole magical princess lunch theme planned in my head. It includes toad stools and magic wands and crowns and princesses and such. It should be fun. Changing the color of food is something easy and fun you can do to avoid the monotony of lunch box preparation. It's easy to add a few drops of food coloring here and there. Here's my egg bread recipe. It serves me well. Oh -- and, no, the addition of the red food dye didn't alter the taste at all.

Fairy Princess Bread
makes one loaf (16 or so slices)

What You Need:
  • 1 packet yeast
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 1/4 cup warm water
  • 1/2 cup warm milk
  • 3 Tbsp melted butter
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • food coloring if desired (about a dozen drops of red for pink bread)
  • egg wash if desired, though I skipped it -- 2 beaten eggs with 1/4 cup water
How it's Done:
  1. Stir together the yeast, sugar, and water. Let it stand 10 minutes.
  2. Slowly beat in eggs, milk, butter, and salt. Add half of the flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes, then add the remaining flour, until a soft, cohesive dough has formed.
  3. With your mixer running, add in food coloring, a few drops at a time, until desired color is reached.
  4. Knead about 10 minutes. Turn dough into an oiled bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm place for 90 minutes.
  5. Punch down the dough. Cut off one-third of the dough. With the remaining dough, divide into 3 equal balls. Roll each ball into a 14" rope. Braid these three, starting at the center and braiding out on each side. Pinch ends closed.
  6. With remaining 1/3 of the dough, divide into 3 equal portions and roll into 16" ropes. Braid these the same way. Place the thinner braid on top of the thicker braid. Pinch ends to seal.
  7. Cover and let rise again, for about 30 minutes.
  8. Brush with egg wash if desired.
  9. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes, or until loaf sounds hollow when you thump the bottom.
  10. Let cool completely before slicing. This bread freezes nicely.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

I have a feeling that Kitty and Scarlet would get along famously. She's a tinkerbell/princess fiend -I'm going to have to make this for her fo' sho'!

Unknown said...

I love the color of it. I never thought to put dye in my dough before...oh the possibilities! The bread looks and sounds fantastic, Michelle!

Out of the Box into the Kitchen said...

how cute!someday perhaps ill try making it, but i know my bread won't look that good!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

My niece would go absolutely crazy over this!! I'll have to make her some :) What a fun idea Michelle!

Allison said...

I just have to tell you that I just became a follower and I am so excited!! I have been in such a rut lately because of life circumstances we have been going out to eat A LOT!!! As in sometimes 2x a day! Hopefully all of that is changing now and we will be at home once again. Looking forward to more!

Samara Link said...

Hi, there. I made your vegetarian stuffed shells again tonight. :) Just those with salad and fruit salad. We had a dinner guest. He is a recent college grad, new to career, lives alone. I suspect he doesn't cook for himself much. So, I thought your shells would be good, hearty, home cooked, and comforting to him. He ate them up! I was happy to see him go back for seconds and thirds. Thanks for the great cooking inspiration. :)

Yenta Mary said...

Fairy princess??? Oh, I want to be one!!! And how could a girly-girl like me not love pink bread!

I gave you an award this morning ... :)

http://foodfloozie.blogspot.com/2010/08/one-versatile-bloggers-lovely-blog.html

Sharlene T. said...

Fairy Princess Bread, oh, how lovely... someone is going to be the envy of all her classmates... of course, pink rice doesn't get the same response (or blue, for that matter)... at least, that's what my husband said when I tried to make the meal more colorful... glad to see I wasn't the only one in the world... come visit when you can..

Twitter: SolarChief

Unknown said...

WOW, Fairy Princess Bread, I love that name! What a proper name for such sweet bread. Love the idea of coloring the dough, very creating and so very pretty.
Looks wonderful. I'm sure it tastes as good as it looks.
Thanks for sharing.

*NEW!* Stay current on what's cooking!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails