Fairy Princess Bread
makes one loaf (16 or so slices)
What You Need:
- 1 packet yeast
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- food coloring if desired (about a dozen drops of red for pink bread)
- egg wash if desired, though I skipped it -- 2 beaten eggs with 1/4 cup water
- Stir together the yeast, sugar, and water. Let it stand 10 minutes.
- Slowly beat in eggs, milk, butter, and salt. Add half of the flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes, then add the remaining flour, until a soft, cohesive dough has formed.
- With your mixer running, add in food coloring, a few drops at a time, until desired color is reached.
- Knead about 10 minutes. Turn dough into an oiled bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm place for 90 minutes.
- Punch down the dough. Cut off one-third of the dough. With the remaining dough, divide into 3 equal balls. Roll each ball into a 14" rope. Braid these three, starting at the center and braiding out on each side. Pinch ends closed.
- With remaining 1/3 of the dough, divide into 3 equal portions and roll into 16" ropes. Braid these the same way. Place the thinner braid on top of the thicker braid. Pinch ends to seal.
- Cover and let rise again, for about 30 minutes.
- Brush with egg wash if desired.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes, or until loaf sounds hollow when you thump the bottom.
- Let cool completely before slicing. This bread freezes nicely.