Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Guest Post: Solar Cooking

Hi Friends!

Today, Sharlene is going to talk to us about cooking with the power of the sun. I hope you'll enjoy what she has to say. I know I'm fascinated by the prospect of solar cooking and one day, I plan to try it out for myself!

Solar Cooking is Cutting Edge Green, Healthy, and FREE!




First of all, I really want to thank Michelle for the invitation to guest blog on All Home Cooking. All Year Long. It's always fun to meet new people and in BlogLand, it's a special joy.



Some of you may know me but, for those who don't, let me introduce myself. I'm Sharlene Thomas and the author of "A Month of SUNdays - Solar Cooking at Home." My focus is bringing solar cooking to mainstream cooks so that you can enjoy all the health and financial benefits I've enjoyed since discovering this fantastic way of preparing my meals. And, like Michelle, it's all home cooking. I would love to have you visit my blog for more information and recipes.



Let me make it clear, up front, I'm not asking anybody to get rid of their stoves or other kitchen appliances. No way! I'm simply asking that you consider adding a solar oven to your cooking arsenal to put money in your pocket, as well as help keep America green.




All you have to do is invest the same time and energy you do in preparing your current meals. Food preparation is no different from what you are already doing. Just follow your recipe and use the solar oven when it's time for the long-cooking process. Because so many people think of solar cooking primarily for camping, I work hard to make sure that my recipes include all types of cooking: down-home, original and gourment recipes, frozen and prepackaged mixes, as well. For a great introduction to solar cooking, check out my original Roasted Whole Chicken on a Celery Rack.





A solar oven can do everything a conventional oven can do -- but the fuel is FREE -- and, with care, your oven can last 20 or 30 years. Now, that is some serious money in your pocket. Need an example of what can happen to your energy bill? Check this post.





Tired of people complaining about your food or making you feel bad, check out my posting "An Honest Opinion is a Matter of Taste" to feel better.




Having a garden can only enhance home cooking. Want an easy way to plant a garden, anywhere, for fresh veggies and fruit, without the backbreaking labor? Check out this post, "Save Your Back - Use Lasagna Gardening." There's nothing like fresh veggies to make a meal sparkle.



Do yourself a favor and find out how many sunny days and partially-sunny days you have available in your state (we have 272 in NC!) and take advantage of the benefits of solar cooking. You will definitely see a difference in your utility bill and, not only will you be doing your part in saving our fossil fuels, you'll love the food!

8 comments:

Emma said...

This is a great post Sharlene but you should've done a vlog so that everyone could see how fab you are!! x

Kim said...

What a fantastic idea! I make sun tea but I never thought of taking it a step further (a huge step further!) by cooking food with the sun. Thanks so much for posting about this.

Sarah said...

Great post! Living in Texas, I feel that solar cooking is definitely something I want to look into :)

Unknown said...

Sharlene is an awesome lady! Looking forward to the debut of her new oven ;)

Christina Lee said...

Over here to support Sharlene-go go go!!!

Natalie said...

Sharlene - love this post! We've been trying to grow more and more of our own fruits, veggies, and herbs. There's nothing better than home grown produce :)

Sharlene T. said...

Emma - Have one coming up... need three arms and very LARGE cue cards!

Kim - It's a piece of cake and you'll have lots of fun, too.

Sarah - Texas and solar cooking are meant for each other... makes the dadburndest bbq...

Tammy - In its tweaking stage -- and, it's gorgeous...

ChristinaL - Thanks for the support, you soon-to-be-famous lady!

Natalie - That's for sure... will be more than happy to help in planning one for you that's really easy to do.

Magic of Spice said...

Wonderful guest post...Your information is a needed inspiration :)

*NEW!* Stay current on what's cooking!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails