Saturday, January 16, 2010

$400 a Month. How I Do It.


People are often amazed that, without coupons or multiple store visits, I can feed my family as extravagantly as I do for about $400 a month. That works out to roughly $100 a week. We do our shopping twice a month. The first half of the month, I spend around $300. The second half of the month, I spend about $100. I set aside a little cash for extra purchases, but never more than $20 a month extra.


Here's what I bought today, on my mid-month shopping trip to one store. My total was $90.64.



  • 3 bottles Diet Pepsi (my weakness is really Diet Coke but Pepsi is on sale for 99 cents)

  • 2 cans fire roasted diced tomatoes

  • confectioner's sugar

  • gallon of dill pickles

  • split peas

  • vegetable oil

  • white cake mix (yes, mix. gasp!)

  • all-purpose flour (5 lb. bag)

  • powdered pectin

  • cake pans

  • 2 lb. salted butter

  • refrigerated pie crust (another short cut!)

  • whipping cream

  • 2 large cartons sour cream

  • 5 lb extra sharp cheddar cheese

  • 2 blocks cream cheese

  • pint of half & half

  • gallon of milk

  • 2 - 18 packs large eggs

  • 1 lb frozen peas

  • 1 lb frozen blueberries

  • 1 lb frozen corn

  • 1 lb frozen broccoli

  • 2 whole chickens

  • 1 lb bacon

  • boneless ham steak

  • 2 snack cakes for the darling children

  • 1 loaf of bread for immediate use

  • 2 lb lean ground beef

  • 3 lb lean ground pork

  • 5 lb baking potatoes

  • shitake mushrooms

  • 6 lemons

  • 2 beefsteak tomatoes

  • 2 heads of green cabbage

  • 2 bunches of green onions

  • 3 Braeburn apples

  • 2 lb carrots

  • cucumber

  • 1 head lettuce

  • 1 lb pinto beans

  • 2 cans black beans

  • 1 can crushed pineapple

  • yellow rice

  • couscous

  • frozen strawberries

  • bag of frozen chicken thighs

  • cornstarch

  • jar of jalapeno pickles all eaten up already

No comments:

*NEW!* Stay current on what's cooking!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails