Friday is my normal baking day, but I spent most of that day out running errands (including many tedious hours at the DMV), so today's the day. Friday is also our weekly dessert day. Since that got pushed back, too, I decided to serve dessert tonight.
One of the most frequent debates in the freezer section of the grocery store for my family is ice cream flavor. Chocolate? Strawberry? Vanilla? Cookie dough? Peanut butter cup? Bubble Gum (slight gag from mom and dad here)? Sometimes it's hard to choose! We have two chocoholics, a strawberry sweetie, and a vanilla bean in our family. We take turns choosing which flavor to get. With this yummy pie, you don't have to take turns choosing. You get all three favorites in one bite! And since it uses frozen berries, you don't have to wait until summer for it!
- 1 - 9" chocolate graham cracker crust
- 10 oz frozen whole strawberries (unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup instant tapioca
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 Tbsp confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
How it's Done:
- Prebake your crust for 5 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine frozen berries, sugar, and tapioca. Let stand 45 minutes.
- Pour strawberry filling into crust and bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. Cool completely before moving to refrigerator.
- Just before serving: In a chilled mixing bowl, beat whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add confectioner's sugar and vanilla and beat again until cream is stiffened. Top pie with cream.
- If desired, drizzle melted chocolate over top of pie. Serve chilled.