Thursday, January 28, 2010

Buttermilk Bread...and a note


Day 28.


Tomorrow, I'm going to the dentist, and if all goes well, I'll be having a lot of work done. I will try to post a recipe, but be patient with me if I can't. I may very well be eating baby food bananas tomorrow. :)


Meanwhile, here's a quick bread machine recipe that I love to use on busy nights when I need sandwiches for the next day. Bread machines can be purchased for pennies on the dollar at any thrift shop near you. I don't use mine much anymore. I find it more economical to make bread by hand. However, it's a great time saving tool and a good way to introduce yourself to homemade bread. I bought my bread machine for $5 at a thrift store. Keep an eye out for one for your own kitchen.


Buttermilk Bread Machine Bread

makes 1 1/2 lb loaf


Ingredients:


  • 1 cup warm buttermilk

  • 2 Tbsp butter, cut into small pieces

  • 3 Tbsp honey or agave nectar

  • 1 tsp sea salt

  • 3 cups bread flour

  • 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast

How it's Done:



  1. Add all ingredients to your bread machine in the order recommended by your machine's manufacturer. Set to regular light loaf and walk away.

  2. Wait until the loaf is cool to slice it, or else it will fall apart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was wondering how to adapt this recipe to make by hand--don't own a bread machine. Thanks

Michelle said...

Combine the wet ingredients in a large bowl. Add the yeast. Add the rest of the dry ingredients, stirring with a wooden spoon until stiff. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth, maybe 8 minutes? Then bake, at about 375, for 30 minutes to 45 minutes, until the bread sounds hollow when you tap the bottom. Hope that helps!

*NEW!* Stay current on what's cooking!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails