Here's a hearty soup that's not too spicy, but it's plenty flavorful. If you need more kick, a tablespoon of hot sauce in your bowl will heat things up nicely.
makes a huge pot of soup
- 1 lb ground beef (totally optional -- can omit for vegetarian, or use shredded chicken instead)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion (cut in half -- dice one-half and put the other half in your blender bowl)
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic (half goes in your blender bowl)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (shove a bunch in the measuring cup until it's full, then dump it in your blender bowl, saving a tiny bit for garnish)
- 2 cans fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 green bell pepper (cut in half -- dice one-half and put the other half in your blender bowl)
- 8 cups broth (beef, chicken, or vegetable)
- 2 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into rough 1" cubes
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 Tbsp cumin
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 cups frozen sweet corn
- salt to taste (I felt like it needed quite a bit and ended up using 1 full tablespoon -- perfect -- but I used sodium-free bouillon to make the broth)
- tortilla chips, cheddar cheese, and sour cream for serving
How it's Done:
- Start out by blending the ingredients you were to put in your blender bowl and set this mixture aside. It will thicken the soup a little bit later.
- Brown your ground beef in a large stock pot if you're using it. Add the diced onion and the other half of your garlic and cook a couple minutes.
- Add the cut tortillas, bell pepper, cumin, and chili powder. Mix well.
- Immediately add the broth and blender ingredients to your pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes to an hour. The longer you simmer, the more the flavors will meld.
- In the last five minutes of cooking, add the beans, corn, and lime juice.
- Serve over tortilla chips and cheese, with more on top for garnish. A dollop of sour cream is nice, too.