Monday, January 25, 2010

French-Canadian Meat Pie




I have ancestors from all over the globe. Something I'd like to do this year is try a dish from all of the countries my ancestors called home. Many of them hail from Canada.




A couple of years ago, my grandmother presented me with a cookbook of all of her personal favorite recipes. There was a recipe for this sort of meat pie in there. I don't know what happened to the recipe, but I do remember the flavors, so I decided to try my hand at it alone. Here's how I make it without her recipe:
French-Canadian Meat Pie
serves 6-8
Ingredients:
  • 2 lb lean ground pork
  • 1 large onion or 2 medium onions, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup beef broth
  • 1 tsp each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp savory
  • 1/4 tsp each cinnamon and nutmeg
  • 1 cup mashed potatoes (mashed roughly, leaving lumps behind)
  • pie crust for a double crust pie
  • 1 egg, beaten with 1 Tbsp water

How it's Done:

  1. Cook the pork in a skillet until no longer pink. Don't overcook it.
  2. Add broth, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, savory, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in mashed potatoes. Set aside.
  3. Roll out 1/2 of pie crust into the bottom of a 9" deep dish pie plate. Mound filling into pie crust. Top with the other 1/2 of the dough. Vent. Brush the top crust with the beaten egg/water mixture.
  4. Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 50 to 60 minutes, until golden brown. Let the pie sit for 10 minutes before cutting.




1 comment:

Kat said...

Looks like a great cold weather meal!

*NEW!* Stay current on what's cooking!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails