Use-it-up week continues. I've said it before: soup is such a frugal thing to eat. It's also a fantastic way to use up (and mask) leftovers at the end of a grocery week. Here's a recipe that helps use up bits of things. I considered adding sour cream or cream cheese at the end. I didn't...but if you do, please write and tell me how it turns out.
Potato Broccoli Soup with Parmesan Cheese
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups water
- 12 oz frozen broccoli
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 5 dashes of hot sauce
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups milk
How it's Done:
- Heat oil in a soup pot. Saute shallot and onion until the onion is clear. Add water and broccoli. Bring to a boil. Add mashed potatoes, stirring to combine. Stir in salt, pepper, nutmeg, and hot sauce.
- In small batches, puree the soup in your blender or food processor. Return to pot.
- Add Parmesan cheese and milk. Stir to blend. Heat gently. Serve.