What would you say if I said that I have a recipe to share with you that is delicious, cheap (this meal is practically free!), and quick -- under 20 minutes start to finish?
You'd say, "Stop yer yappin' and get to typin'" wouldn't you? Mmm hmm.
Here you go!
Chicken & Dumplings
- leftover chicken (I used about 2 cups from a rotisserie chicken I cooked a couple days ago)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- fresh, chopped parsley (I used 1/4 cup chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup 1/2 & 1/2 or milk
How it's Done:
- Put chicken and broth on to boil in a large pot.
- Meanwhile, mix flour, baking powder, and sea salt in a mixing bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or fingers. Add in milk. Knead until smooth, then roll to 1/4" thickness. Using a pizza cutter, cut dough into 2" x 1" rectangles.
- Add dumplings to the broth a few at a time, moving then around and pressing gently to submerge in broth. Don't add any extra water or broth. You won't have much room for dumplings, and that's okay. Keep moving them around and making sure they all get wet.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in 1/2 & 1/2 or milk and parsley. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.