It's Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday today. The kids have the day off from school and the Hubs has the day off from work. They all slept in while I snuck downstairs to cook up this delicious breakfast treat. When we woke Little One from her restful slumber, she inquired, "Why do you have to wake me up on a holidayyyyyy?"
This is why, Deary. This is why.
- 2 apples (I used Braeburn), peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/2 a lemon
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp each nutmeg, ground cloves, and cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
How it's Done:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9" square baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Toss the apples with the juice of 1/2 a lemon. Add cherries, cornstarch, granulated sugar, 1/8 tsp coves, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Pour into prepared dish. Dot with 1 Tbsp butter.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients to make a crumble topping. Evenly distribute over fruit filling.
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes. Serve with whipped cream if desired. I whip a little heavy cream with some cinnamon, vanilla, and honey.