I love oatmeal cookies...except that they always seem to go flat while baking! With some simple changes in a recipe, your oatmeal cookies will rise above the rest.
Fluffy Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups CAKE flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups oats (I used quick oats because it's what I had, but old fashioned work very nicely)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips and/or nuts if desired
How it's Done:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cream shortening and sugar together. Add eggs, one at a time. Add milk and vanilla.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, and cinnamon. Add to wet mixture, beating well to combine.
- Stir in nuts or chocolate chips if desired.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon onto cookie sheets (I spray them with non-stick spray) and bake 8 to 10 minutes per batch.
- Cool slightly before removing to wire rack.