We've just celebrated the 100th day of school. When I was in elementary school, we didn't celebrate the 100th day. I don't know when it started, but the kids always celebrate it now. One year, when one of my children was in kindergarten, the students were given a project to complete for the 100th Day of School: They were to collect and mount on poster board 100 items. My child decided on 100 Fruit Loops, glued on in the shape of the number 100. She did all the work herself. When we arrived in class that morning, the other students' parents had "helped" with their projects, and there were elaborate battle scenes with 100 green Army men, 100 plastic ants munching on watermelon, and many more. In retrospect, 100 tiny saucers with 100 real, tasty mini cupcakes to serve to peers would have been a knockout. My ideals wouldn't have allowed it, though. I firmly believe in children doing as much of their own work as possible. It's a nice thought, though. 100 tiny decorated cupcakes. Mmmm.
I've decided to do a giveaway here at All Home Cooking on Day 100 -- Sort of a milestone. I haven't decided what I'll give away yet. I want it to be something I really like. I'll give some thought to it and keep you updated.
Meanwhile, go make a batch of these sunny pancakes and absorb some vitamin C.
makes about 15 - 4" pancakes
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 cup crushed pineapple in its own juice
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
How it's Done:
- Preheat your griddle or skillet to medium-high. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine oil, egg, milk, juice, pineapple, sugar, and cream cheese.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add all at once to liquid mixture. Stir to combine only until all the ingredients are wet.
- Drop by 1/4 cup measure onto preheated griddle or skillet. Cook 2 to 3 minutes until bubbles form, flip, and cook another 1 1/2 minutes or so. Serve right away.